Sunday, August 19, 2012

This was a weird week. When it says All-purpose flour in a recipe and you are fairly new to making up recipes on your own, use All-purpose flour....I used part wheat and part All-purpose when I made the Onion pancakes and BOY was THAT a mistake! It was so bad that my dogs wouldn't even give it a whiff. I have a few onions left in the fridge so I might try and make those again this coming week. Although I really am trying to stay away from white flour...maybe I can find a wheat flour recipe..The tzatziki I made was good, although it made a fairly small portion and I added a tad too much dill (which I didn't think was possible.) I also pureed and froze the papaya which also seemed to be going bad quickly. I plan on using that in smoothies this week or eating it as fruit ice. It's so hot here that having a frozen treat every few days is a must.I ended up making everything planned for (on different days) except for the mushroom soup and leek canellini cakes. The mushrooms went bad before I got to them. Huge bummer. I'm fairly new to the mushroom bandwagon and I was looking forward to loving this soup.

It's amazing how few vegetables I know how to cook, what with being a vegetarian...I am learning! I did make leek and yellow squash lasagna today that was delicious and also the most productive thing I did all day. Again, a lazy weekend day. We were really pumped yesterday morning and went about 10am for a 5-6 mile walk around Breckenridge Park. The baby slept for a good deal of the way and my husband and I enjoyed exploring the park and a nearby neighborhood. We got back to the car (which was parked in the garage next to the Witte Museum) only to find the window smashed out and our diaper bag stolen. This put an immediate damper on the day and to be honest, the weekend. I was heartbroken to realize that my beloved necklace, the one I bought the day of our rehearsal dinner two+ years ago, stolen. So in an effort to cope with the tragedy of this event we called the police, who came immediately. They lifted a few prints so we'll see how that turns out. As soon as we got home we put the baby down for a "real" nap and I went immediately to the kitchen to make chocolate cake. It was what I needed to do at the time. And after the second slice I felt kinda bad about it. Why do we turn to food when we are upset? Don't answer that. I know why. It's instant gratification. Followed by guilt. Followed by bargaining. Followed by guilt, again. Which may or may not lead to another bout of instant gratification....hmmmm....

I have a big task ahead of me tomorrow or Tuesday. I have to make wheat bread if I want to eat it this week. I think I will be able to make most of the fresh food last for the rest of the week. Unfortunately pay day is not until August 31st and money is beyond tight. It was tight before the car window got smashed...do you catch my drift?...So going on a veggie and fruit friendly grocery trip is not in the cards for me until the first week in September. I hate to sound completely irritating but I am trying not to freak about it. When we don't have any money we tend to eat wheat pasta and parmesan for every meal. My body is loving all of this fresh goodness!!!... It will have to get over it and take one for the team.


No comments:

Post a Comment